Tuesday 9 October 2012

'Jide And M.I on "The Carnage Of The Mind"


          



'Jide Olowookere is one of the best graphic aristes in Nigeria. His works have always spoken for him, and when it comes to ideas, he is so blessed. And M.I who we all know as the Africa's rapper number one is one intelligent Nigerian artiste you want to listen to.
Here they poured out some pieces of their minds concerning the four Uniport students that were killed last week in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State



'Jide:   I saw the picture and the video the three UNIPORT students, beaten to death and burnt. I was shocked and till in shock, angry and in much pain for the families, friends, relatives et.c of these young promising students.
I keep wondering why they killed this boys like rat, over alleged stolen phones and laptops. I wonder what kind of individuals and what kind of heart they have
. We complain about Boko Haram attack in the North, and we want peace within our environment.

I have been wondering since I saw the Picture, and later the video.
People were actually gathered from the start of the guy removing their clothes, beat them, I even saw the guy in the video throwing a BLOCK at them. I heard words like, “E le yi ko to ku” haaaaaaaaaaa.

Someone was also there to record the entire carnage.
Where is the love for our neighbour?
Where is the passion?

MY CONCERN!
I keep wondering that youth (HUMAN) can actually go to the point of staying throughout the entire massacre, without a single individual calling for resistance in his/her own voice and maybe others watching could had been triggered to change the course of the death of this promising young guys.

What are we driving ourselves into?
What are we building in our minds?

I will refer back to write up on OCTOBER 1st, (MY THOUGHT AS NIGERIA MARKS 52 YEARS)
“Where is the Nigeria we are looking for? Is not on the MAP is in our heart and mind, and heart of heart”
Nigeria will be a better place if another man’s hunger can be our individual responsibility.

My Condolence to the family of these young boys. I hope the securities operatives will dig into this matter and bring out the people involved in this carnage.


MI Abaga:   Isn’t this rapper phenomenal? He writes songs and gets us dancing to his music and talking about it! He knows when its time to be playful as well when to get serious – sober and deep in thought.
MI Abaga is not unaware of the happenings around him as his contributions to national discourse reflects one who is conversant with the latest happenings – good or bad. He bares his mind without minding whose Ox is gored or whether he is the only voice in the wilderness. He spoke up when the debate over the Rick Ross video was raging in a piece titled ‘God forbid it!’ and now again, following the outrage that has greeted the senseless and callous murder of four undergraduate students of the University of Portharcourt, now known as ‘Aluu4’, the dimunitive raper has once again let us in on his thoughts in a blog sensationally titled ‘The hope is the worst part of it.’
Enjoy below and share your thoughts…

The hope is the worst part of it.
The way they lay there, beaten and broken, battered and bruised. Knowing their end had come for certain. Knowing that the crowd meant to see this through to the end. And yet, in the midst of all this certainty, in some small corner of their hearts, hoping. That something would happen, some miracle perhaps.
I am speaking of course, of the #Aluu4, students of University of Port Harcourt who were beaten and set ablaze last week.
I’d heard the news sometime last week and devoted all of 10 seconds of thought to it. I wondered briefly who the students were, and what could possibly have driven them to steal. I briefly wondered if they were really guilty but my mind quickly shied away from where that road could lead. I remembered all the stories I grew up hearing about thieves and the instant justice meted out to them, and mentally shook my head.
That would have been all, I suppose, but for the video. It is probably the most gruesome thing I have ever seen, and the worst I ever hope to see.
Hope.
There, I’ve said it again. Somehow it seems there is no escaping it.
Because when things like this happen, it seems our default reaction is to hope it will never happen to us or any one we know or love. Then we hope that our religion and hard work and luck will exempt us from senseless suffering. Sometimes we hope that right thing will be done, the wrong doers brought to book, and the victims receive some sort of justice.
Every day we hope the country we live in will be a better place for us and for our children.
And that is the problem with hope.
That we have allowed it to cripple us and render us inactive.
You , me, all of us who sit by hoping and doing nothing to change.
The question is not whether or not the 4 boys stole anything. That is quite besides the point.
Let us ask instead: What do I need to ensure my children do not grow up hearing stories like these?
What would it cost to make this country and are we willing to pay the price?
Because if I were there that day, would I have spoken up and done my best to put a stop to it? Or silently stood by, condemning the actions in my heart, but doing nothing? Would I have been seized by the bloodlust and fear and anger myself, and spurred them on with my shouts, and cries for blood, maybe tossed in a rock or two for good measure.
The society is a mirror of each of us. It is sad and sickening that this was allowed to happen. It shows us all what we are capable of, what w will each do given the right set of circumstances.
These 4 murdered men, their deaths should not be in vain. If anything good could come out of a mess so sordid, let it be that every Nigerian begins to think about the problem and what to do to solve it. Let it be that we understand the problem is ourselves and our failure to take a stand against injustice and lawlessness over the years. Let it be that we promise ourselves never to let this happen again. Not on our land. Not as long as we’re alive.
I hope this time we get it right.

No comments: