Saturday 3 November 2012

Exclusive Interview with Ayo, Project fame west Africa season 5 winner

He won a music contest at the biggest stage: The MTN Project Fame Season Five. Suddenly Ayobami Ayoola Ayolola popularly known as A-Why-Oh becomes a household name, what with the talent he demonstrated and the enviable prizes he clinched as the winner of the first-rate reality music show. However, not many people are aware that this same music champ has a backstory of four failed attempts (at getting on this MTN-sponsored reality music competition that he eventually won), in fact, five failures, if you count his short-lived foray into another topnotch music talent hunt, The Nigerian Idol, where he was successful to be among the finalists only to become the first evictee.
In this encounter, the 25-year-old made a clean breast of how his talent was nurtured by his father; he talked about his musical coming of age and he also dropped a hint about his in-the-making songs which he promised would be a delightful surprise for his growing fans. Excerpts.

Tell us about yourself?
My name is Ayobami Ayoola Ayolola. People call me AYO (A-Why-Oh). I’m a Biochemistry graduate of Covenant University; the first child of five children from a Christian home. Our father is a Pastor.


How did you come about your stage name?
People call me AYO. But I prefer, “A-Why-Oh”. The name came about through a discovery process - after years of recording and performing on stage, the stage name came, and it wasn’t difficult for it to gain acceptance, considering that the stage name is a derivative of the real name.

How did you start musically?
Just like most people who are into music. I started from a tender age. I started at about seven years of age. I owe it to my dad for putting me on track and showing me the way to my destiny.
How would you describe your music?
First, I would say it’s a must-hear; my music is a mixture of afro, naija pop, and store. I won’t let the cat out of the bag yet.

Looking back at your childhood, what was your first experience with music?
I had an awesome experience in my childhood. I can still remember standing in front of thousands of people at a very tender age of seven, with my younger sister, Funmi, by my left, singing “Silent Night” on Christmas Eve night in Kano State where I was born. I also can never forget all the times we tagged along after my father for choir rehearsals. He was a choir director for about 10 years.
What song did you remember most as a child?
The first song I ever sang as a child: “Silent Night”. I remember the excitement at the time; I still have some of that feeling whenever I remember those days.

As a child growing up, what type of music did you hear the most back then?
I grew up listening to a lot of old Yoruba folk songs. I wish I could remember all. But I remember vividly that my aunt had a bar and every Sunday night, we would pay her a visit and also entertain her guests. She would play Fuji music, mostly Pasuma Wonder, and my sisters and I would dance and guests would spray us with money.

What first gave you the idea that you could have a career in music?
I was really encouraged by my dad who surrounded me with music-oriented activities - concerts, rehearsals and all sorts. My father always play King Sunny Ade’s tapes and videos (he was his super fan) and Michael Jackson too.

What has been your biggest break so far in your music career?
The MTN Project Fame Competition.

How was the MTN Project Fame experience?
It was an experience I won’t forget in a lifetime. I went there to have fun. There were times of frustration in the house with the songs, and manner with which one was expected to deliver his rendition. But, indeed, it was fun; it was cool for me.

Tell us how you got involved?
I heard about the audition on radio and I decided to go for it. I had applied for the previous editions of Project Fame but was not successful. Therefore, I made up my mind that this one was going to be my final attempt. Luckily, I was successful this time around and I found out that I progressed each week without being listed for eviction up until the final week that I was declared the winner. I took the competition step by step with the ultimate goal of succeeding in mind. The Project Fame journey turned out to be a sort of self-discovery for my music and myself.

What other competitions did you take part in?
I started participating in competitions since 2008. I have been to all the five Project Fame auditions and other competitions as well. I even got as far as entering the house for The Nigerian Idol, but I was the first to be evicted. I felt really bad about it at the time, without knowing that God had better plans for me.

What was your winning strategy?
Simple: being my self and taking it one step at a time. It really worked for me and I escaped eviction week in week out.

Being in the MTN Hall of Fame with the likes of Iyanya, Chidinma, Mike, and Monica, how do you feel?
It is an awesome feeling; I wouldn’t trade it for anything at all.

When are you going to unleash your own “Kunkere” or “Kedike” hit?
Very soon, I’m in the kitchen cooking some delicacies. I will serve you soon. Watch out.
You mentioned that your father discovered you, how do you mean?
My father sort of exposed me to music at a tender age, and I gradually fell in love with music. He would take me out to his rehearsals, concerts and other music engagements. He would play music videos; he played these songs for his enjoyment, and as I grew, I started loving music. He went as far as enrolling my siblings and me in a music school. He also gave me my first musical instrument, a keyboard, for my 12th birthday.

What impact did Covenant University has on your music skill?
Covenant University was the place that I discovered I wanted music for a career and not just a hobby. It was the place where I met people that affected my career positively. I met a lot of good singers and learnt a lot from them. I met people like Sagzy (producer of Vector’s “Angeli” ft 9ice), RIC, Sledge, Reverb, IBK Spaceship Boi, Bez, Simi, Emma OhMyGod, Lily, Slasha - the list is endless. The support I got from the school during the show was overwhelming

How strong is your live performance ability?
At the moment, I feel better performing on stage provided all the requirements are met; I mean good sound, good band representation and all.

Who are your musical influences?
I have been influenced by so many people, notably Michael Jackson, 2face, P Square and J Moss.

What record label are you on currently?
That is coming soon.
What makes you and your music unique?
My manner of approach to whatever music I’m doing. Wait till you hear it and judge for yourselves.

No comments: