Saturday 1 September 2012

Why UK Embassy denied Davido work permit



Hopes of UK fans of watching rave-of-the moment hip hop sensation, Davido perform at HMV Apollo was dashed last week as the musician was forced to cancel his trip at the last minute.
However, Davido would later release a statement citing the
non-approval of a work permit by the British High Commission in Lagos as the reason for not making the trip. The denial of a work permit to the Dami Duro crooner who is a frequent flyer to the UK has gotten observers and fans worried.
Davido’s statement read, “I regret to let you know that I will not be performing along side my most respected big brother and friend D’Banj at the scheduled show of August 27, in London.


“I am both a Nigerian citizen, as well as an American citizen, I carry both the Nigerian and the American passports. As an American citizen, I do not require a visa to enter the United Kingdom, however I require a work permit in the UK for any paid performance such as the scheduled August 27, in London. That is the law in the United Kingdom.
“I applied for a work permit at the British Embassy in Abuja/ Lagos but unfortunately up till the close of business on Friday August 24, I was unable to obtain a work permit, as a result I have to cancel my performance and my trip to the United Kingdom altogether.
“I apologize for the inconvenience and the disappointment, but I am rest assured that I will make it up to you all on a future date. You will agree with me that it is better to be law abiding at all times and in every jurisdiction.”
Although the embassy reserves constitutional rights and discretionary powers over approval of work permits however, observers have pointed out that the disapproval might be connected to musician’s waning public image. Few weeks ago, the musician was accused by a Taxi driver, Femi Ajibola of assault and illegal seizure of his ignition keys for days. It was gathered that the matter was reported at the Bar Beach police station. In another development, the young artiste was also reported to have been dealt with by a mobile policeman but he denied this via his official twitter handle.
Meanwhile, Omo Babaolowo as he is fondly called has been bitten by the philanthropy bug among other celebrities by donating N1 million to young breast cancer patient, Idiagbonya Osasere. Others who have donated to the young lady include Ruggedman, Solidstar, Banky W and Fathia Balogun among others.

No comments: